Chad le Clos aspires to represent South Africa in the World Short Course Championships.

 Over a thousand swimmers from 180 nations have descended on Melbourne for the 16th World Short Course Swimming Championships.

Chad le Clos aspires to represent South Africa in the World Short Course Championships.

Among them will be 14 South African aspirants aiming to create a name for themselves after the bulk of them were refused entry to the same event last year due to the Covid travel restriction placed on the country at the time.

Chad le Clos was the sole South African to make the podium at last year's Championships, despite a substantially smaller squad of four swimmers.

Le Clos finished second in the 100m butterfly at the World Short Course Championships in 2021, only missing out on a sixth straight gold medal. He'll be attempting to reclaim that title next week, as well as the 200m butterfly, which he has won three times at these championships but has yet to defend.

"I think Berlin was a crucial World Cup for me to regain confidence, particularly that first 100 fly when I ran 48.5 [seconds]." "It was one of my best performances in six years, so it was a great, huge confidence boost," Le Clos said of his latest performance.

"There was a shift in me... Just the way I approach races today is similar to Chad's previous style, not swimming like a frantic man. Because I had such a horrible run outside the pool in the previous two years, I simply felt like I had a point to make to everyone, and I think it was harming my performance... when it's best just to focus on what you're doing.

"I'd be thrilled with two medals in Melbourne." "I haven't been world champion in four years, so of course the aim is to be world champion - I'd be very thankful," added Le Clos, who has an astonishing record of ten gold medals at the World Short Course Championships since his debut in 2010. Next week, he'll compete in the 50m, 100m, and 200m butterfly.


BEWARE OF MATT SATES

Meanwhile, 19-year-old Matt Sates, who won the overall title in last year's FINA World Cup series and finished sixth this year, will be competing for a podium spot in Melbourne.

"I'm feeling fantastic as I travel into Melbourne." "I enjoy racing short course, and I think the last two years have given me a lot of experience, so I am more comfortable understanding how to race each event," said the Maritzburg swimmer, who will compete in the 200m and 400m freestyles, as well as the 200m and 400m individual medleys.

Lara van Niekerk and Pieter Coetzé, two more teens who broke into the international scene this year, are also aiming to be in the mix in Melbourne.

Photo: FINA

Van Niekerk has since had foot surgery and only just returned to training but is relishing the chance to get back to racing.

"Training has gone well - I made careful to listen to the doctors and take it one step at a time coming back in the water, and it paid off." "It was always going to be difficult to prepare for the World Championships after surgery, but rehab went smoothly and everything healed as it needed to, so I was able to get back to training 100 percent again," said the Commonwealth Games 50m and 100m breaststroke champion, who also took bronze at the long course World Championships in Budapest this year.

"I really simply want to execute my racing plans as effectively as possible and concentrate on enjoying the event." Of course, I'd like to finish on the podium as well, but

Coetzé, an 18-year-old backstroke standout, won gold, silver, and bronze at the Commonwealth Games and is hopeful his success will translate to short course competition, which is held in a 25-meter pool.

FINANCIAL INCENTIVE

"I'd say I'm fairly confident going into Melbourne." It's a short course with many underwaters and turns, which isn't my strong suit... but I have been trying to work on it so I’m just excited to see the improvement which I do believe there will be,” said Coetzé, who also claimed a gold, three silvers and a bronze medal at the World Junior Championships in Peru this year.

“I wouldn’t say everyone in the swimming world knows my name, but it is more out there, and Coetzé will compete in the 50m, 100m, and 200m backstroke events, as well as the 50m freestyle event.

The prize money on offer in Melbourne is an added motivation for all swimmers competing, with a guaranteed $2 000 (R35 000) for reaching a final and a winner receiving $10 000 (R175 000). A swimmer who breaks a world record will receive $25 000. (R435 000).

SA TEAM AT THE WORLD SHORT COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2023:

Women: Caitlyn de Lange, Milla Drakopoulos, Stephanie Houtman, Rebecca Meder, Hannah Pearse, Dakota Tucker, Lara van Niekerk, Emily Visagie

Men: Pieter Coetzé, Simon Haddon, Clayton Jimmie, Kian Keylock, Chad le Clos, Matthew Sates

Post a Comment

0 Comments